Chelsea will host Southampton on Saturday afternoon hoping to bounce back to winning ways kick-off 3 pm.
Thomas Tuchel’s side have lost two games in a row and the German will be keen on bringing the rot to an end ahead of the international break.
Reece James will miss Chelsea‘s Premier League clash with Southampton due to continued ankle trouble. Mason Mount is fit after a minor knock, but N’Golo Kante (self-isolation) and Christian Pulisic (ankle) are also missing this weekend.
Southampton midfielder Stuart Armstrong is closing in on a return to fitness and could even be in contention at Stamford Bridge.
Here are some facts and stats ahead of the clash at Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea vs Southampton head to head
- Chelsea have lost one of their last 11 Premier League games against Southampton
- Southampton have taken 19 points from their 22 Premier League games away at Chelsea
- They have only achieved more away points in the competition at Aston Villa (27) and Crystal Palace (21)
- The Saints are one of the three clubs, currently in the Premier League, who are undefeated in their last three visits to Stamford Bridge
- The others are Man united and Liverpool
- Marcos Alonso scored the only goal the last time the Blues beat the Saints at the Bridge in December 2017
Chelsea in numbers
- The Blues are unbeaten in their last five Premier League games played at 3pm (5pm) on a Saturday
- No side has scored more first-half Premier League goals this season than Chelsea, level with Liverpool (6)
- Chelsea are seeking to avoid three successive defeats in all competitions for the first time since 2006
- Andreas Christensen won possession in the defensive third 11 times for Chelsea against Manchester City last Saturday, a record in a Premier League match this season
- The Blues have already had 10 different scorers in our five Premier League games this season, more than any other side
- Southampton have failed to win any of their opening six league games of a season for the first time since 2009/10 in League One, and the first time in the Premier League since 1998/99
- Southampton’s only away Premier League win in 2021 was at Sheffield United in March. They have suffered 11 league defeats on the road since the turn of the year
- Southampton’s defeat against Wolves means they remain one of five different Premier League teams yet to win in the league this season together with Norwich, Burnley, Leeds, and Newcastle
- Southampton are winless in their last eight Premier League games (Four draws, four defeats)
- Southampton are one of just two sides (with Man City) yet to concede before half-time in the Premier League this season
- Saints haven’t scored in the league for three games but have only conceded one in that time