Chelsea is the UEFA Super Cup winner 2021, the game ended with a penalty following a 1-1 draw with Villarreal in Belfast; Hakim Ziyech and Gerard Moreno scored in normal time, and Kepa Arrizabalaga came on late in extra time before stopping two spot-kicks.
With the clubs tied at 1-1 after extra-time, Thomas Tuchel’s side had a 6-5 win on penalties at Windsor Park in Belfast to win it, thanks to their substitute goalie.
Kepa only came on for Edouard Mendy with seconds left, but he won the trophy by denying Raul Albiol a goal after saving from Aissa Mendy to cancel out Kai Havertz’s error.
Chelsea 1-1 Villarreal (6-5 on penalties)
Chelsea had lead the match with a 27 min goal thanks to Hakim Ziyech. Unfortunately for Ziyech, his evening was over soon after. A mid-air collision with Juan Foyth resulted in an injury to his shoulder and plenty of pain. Christian Pulisic replaced him.
The incident seemed to curtail Chelsea’s momentum and Villarreal, having already tested Edouard Mendy through Boulaye Dia came close to equalizing in first-half stoppage time.
Tuchel has a history of winning huge games by a solitary goal, but that was not to be the case here, with Dia teeing up Gerard Moreno in the 73rd minute.
It was excellent work from the Spain international, a justifiable equaliser based on Villarreal’s efforts after falling behind. and a goal that cemented his status as the club’s all-time leading scorer.
In extra time, neither club could find a winner, but Tuchel’s surprise tactical decision gave Chelsea their second Super Cup victory, and their first in 23 years.
- Chelsea have won the UEFA Super Cup for the second time (in their fifth final), following their 1-0 victory over Real Madrid in 1998.
- The Champions League winners have now won the UEFA Super Cup in eight of the last nine seasons, while they had won just four of the previous nine before this run.
- Just three of the 47 Super Cup finals have gone to penalties, with Chelsea being involved in all three – winning tonight, and losing against Bayern Munich in 2013 and Liverpool in 2019.
- For the third year in a row, the UEFA Super Cup has been won by a German manager (Jurgen Klopp in 2019, Hansi Flick in 2020 and Thomas Tuchel in 2021).
- Chelsea became the first English team to win the UEFA Super Cup when playing a non-English side in the final since Liverpool in 2005.
- Villarreal were the seventh different Spanish team to feature in the Super Cup, and the first to lose on their first appearance in the match since Real Madrid in 1998 – also against Chelsea.
- Gerard Moreno has scored eight goals in his last nine appearances in European competition for Villarreal. Meanwhile, only six players have scored goals for a top five European league side in all competitions since the start of last season than the Spaniard (31).
- Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel has never lost against Spanish opposition in his managerial career, winning four and drawing five of his nine such games.
Chelsea vs Villarreal Player ratings
Chelsea: Mendy (7), Zouma (6), Chalobah (6), Rudiger (6), Hudson-Odoi (6), Kante (7), Kovacic (7), Alonso (7), Ziyech (7), Havertz (7), Werner (6).
Subs Pulisic (6), Jorginho (6), Mount (7), Christensen (6), Azpilicueta (6), Kepa (7).
Villarreal: Asenjo (7), Foyth (7), Albiol (7), Pau Torres (6), Pedraza (6), Trigueros (6), Capoue (6), Alberto Moreno (6), Pino (5), Gerard Moreno (7), Dia (7).
Subs Estupinan (7), Gaspar (6), Gomez (6), Raba (6), Morlanes (6), Mandi (5).